Cross Stitch

Monday 23 March 2009

Tip for the day

I have had a few emails asking how to calculate the finished size of a Cross-stitch project. I usually give stitch size and measurements for 14 count fabric for all the charts on my website, as this is the most popular size. You can of course work on any size fabric - to calculate the finished design size just divide the number of stitches by the fabric count. We work in inches because the fabric count is given in inches (14 count means 14 stitches per inch of fabric)

e.g a project 140 x 140 stitches (140 divided by 14) would be 10 x 10 inches. Its equivalent 18 count size is 7.8 inches x 7.8 inches (140 divided by 18).

Don't forget to always cut the fabric a good few inches bigger to allow for finishing and mounting.
Small items that are to be made into cards need only a couple of inches on each side, whereas larger items that are to be framed will need at least 4 inches on all four sides (so this will mean that the fabric should be 8 inches wider and 8 inches bigger than the finished design).

For more tips look back over my blog, you can email your questions to me at info@joannesanderson.com , and I will do my best to answer them. Joanne x

No comments: